Can You Lay Artificial Grass on Concrete?
Are you considering transforming your concrete patio, balcony, or any other hard surface into soft, lush artificial grass? If you’re in Vancouver and looking for expert advice on artificial grass installation, you’ve come to the right place!
It always amazes me the impact that a little splash of colour can have on a boring slab of concrete, paving stones, torch-on, wood or pretty much any outdoor surface! Here are just a few of the benefits that come to mind:
- Makes the area more aesthetically pleasing
- Makes the area softer to the point you can walk out in your bare feet
- Makes the area cleaner and much easier to maintain
So Can You Lay Artificial Grass on Concrete or any of those other surfaces?
The short answer is, yes, you can lay artificial grass on concrete or any hard surface. There are just a couple things that you should take into consideration first:
- **A clean, level surface:** Putting down synthetic turf will not fix an un-even ground! The concrete should be clean, level, and in good condition. Any cracks or imperfections should be addressed to ensure a smooth and even surface. If you plan on making it a permanent installation, use PL construction glue and ensure the concrete is both dry and clean for the glue to bond properly
- **Shock Pad or Drainage Underlay:** To enhance the comfort, durability and drainage of your artificial grass, consider using a shock pad or underlay such as “Turf Cloud Flow”, “Airdrain” or “Sportlite”. This layer provides cushioning and helps with water flow beneath the turf, which will accelerate how quickly it dries out after rain (important for Vancouver!). While this is technically optional, it is highly recommended
- **Infill Material:** Evenly distribute infill sand across the surface of the artificial grass. Infill helps maintain the blades’ upright position, aids in drainage, and extends the lifespan of your turf. Envirofill is the top choice, but silica sand is a less costly alternative
- **Brush and Maintain:** After installation, use a powerbrooom or stiff bristle brush to ensure the infill brushes into the thatch layer and grass fibers stand upright to look their best. From here you can treat this like an outdoor carpet. Regular maintenance includes vacuuming and clearly off organic debris. Just be careful not to vacuum out the infill! Click here for our turf cleaning service
And there you have it! Artificial turf is a great finishing surface that can be installed on top of concrete, paving stones, wood, torch-on, etc. Whether you’re looking to buy the turf and DIY or you need an expert for the installation, Turf Team is here to help! Click here for a free estimate.
Our service areas include Vancouver, Richmond, Burnaby, North Vancouver, West Vancouver, Surrey, Delta, Tsawwassen, and White Rock