If you’re a homeowner in Vancouver, you know that property values can run insanely high, but did you know that a few simple landscaping upgrades can significantly increase your home’s value? A well-designed landscape not only boosts the aesthetics and functionality of your home, but also makes it more appealing to potential buyers when you go to list it. A well-timed landscaping investment can add up to 28% to the overall value of your property! So here are some quick tips on how to increase your Vancouver home value with landscaping:
- Low-maintenance Gardens: Planting trees, shrubs, and flowers can add immediate colour and texture to your yard, and it can also provide privacy and shade. Consult with a landscape designer (like Turf Team) to strike the perfect balance between beautiful year-round colour and low-maintenance. Hiring a garden-maintenance service is viewed as an incurred expense for a potential buyer, whereas a gorgeous low-maintenance garden is viewed as an asset!
- Curb Appeal: The front of your home is the first thing that potential buyers will see, and you don’t get a second chance to make a good first impression! Adding a well-designed walkway, planting colourful flowers, trimming overgrown bushes and installing artificial grass can all enhance your home’s curb appeal. Also consider adding a focal point such as a water feature, garden sculpture, or magnificent tree to create a welcoming atmosphere.
- Outdoor living spaces: By adding an outdoor living space (such as a patio, deck, outdoor kitchen, etc.) effectively increases the usable square footage of your property. It creates a comfortable and functional space for entertaining and relaxing outdoors at any time of year. Investing $20K-$50K in your backyard often yields a great ROI when you go to sell your home.
- Ditch the Lawnmower: Let’s face it, it’s nearly impossible to grow a perfect lawn in Vancouver. Especially in the fall and winter, they get muddy and us-usable. Instead, call Turf Team to install an artificial lawn with a high-end turf that looks identical to the real thing, with none of the hassle! It saves tons of water, time and money spent on maintenance, plus you have a functional outdoor space 365 days a year. This investment will pay for itself with the increase in buyers’ appeal alone. No brainer…
- Put in a Putting Green: You don’t have to be a golfer to appreciate the value of a backyard putting green. They add tremendous aesthetic and functional value to the yard, and are great for kids and entertaining guests. Our greens range from about $5K – $50K and you can be sure you’ll get your money back… and then some!
- Landscape Lighting: Believe it or not, outdoor lighting actually has a big impact on buyer’s appeal. Most open houses are done during the day, but if your prospective buyer drives by at night and sees darkness, it doesn’t feel like a warm and welcoming home. A small investment in some basic pathway lighting and uplighting for the trees or main features makes a world of difference at night.
In conclusion, increasing your home value with landscaping is all about creating an aesthetic, functional, and low-maintenance outdoor space. By incorporating some (or all) of these into your landscape design, you can create an inviting space that not only adds value to your home, but also expands the usable square footage of your property. Whether you’re planning to sell your home in the near future or just want to enjoy it for many years to come, a well-designed landscape is a great investment that can boost your home value.
If you would like to learn more, please reach out to us here